Nick,
If the session token is changing on every request then something is
interfering with the setting of the cookie. If it is broken for only
one browser on a computer, then I would suspect a problem with the
browser settings or security software installed on the computer that
only integrates with IE. Some iterations of IE 6 and 7 had various
problems with cookies and sessions, but all those bugs were fixed long
ago.

You use the phrase "client variable" in one spot. If you happen to be
dealing with client variables instead of session variables, then those
would be troubleshot differently.

Caching can always be a problem, that is separate from session
problems. If Bob visits his account information page, then Mary later
visits her account information page, but sees Bob's information
instead of her information, then that could be a caching issue
unrelated to session variables. If you are showing personalized
information on a site not protected by SSL, then you should consider
disabling caching.

-Mike Chabot