Peter,

As everyone else seems to be against your choice, I think from a
development point of view there is nothing wrong with it.

I purchased a Thecus NAS sometime ago, mainly just for file storage, but
went and got a few modules written to work on it, namely Jira and Collabnet
Subversion and I installed ColdFusion as well.

I removed ColdFusion not because it wouldn't run, but my Thecus only has
1gb of ram so it was running low on memory very quickly with those 3
modules.

At the end of the day it is up to you, as others have suggested for
production or public facing it would not be a good idea, but you have
indicated that it is for your development only. So it would be what you
choose.

Personally I use VirtualBox to create my development server, which backs up
to the NAS now, and find that a better solution for development if you have
enough memory, as that is cheaper to add to a machine than buying a new
machine.

--
Regards,
Andrew Scott