> Well that's fine (and, yes, that's how you do the deployment). But a
> language is what you type in to the IDE or text editor, not what it
> compiles down to, or that one deploys. Java byte code is no more Java than
> CFML is, for that matter.
>
> CFML is not Java. Java is Java.

That's true from a developer's perspective. But from a deployment
perspective, it's very nice to have the ability to hand off an app to
someone who's in charge of a J2EE stack and not have to tell them
anything or do anything special (although they will typically ask you
why on earth the EAR file is so huge).

And frankly that's where the value of Java really is. It's not the
language, which is fairly obtuse and less-than-pleasant. No one's
excited about writing Java code. That's why there are all these other
languages that run on the JVM: Groovy, Clojure, Scala, Jython, JRuby,
etc. It seems like Java programmers spend more time looking for ways
not to write Java, than they do actually writing Java.

> A better defence of CFML's Javaness would be to point out that one can
> instantiate Java classes and call methods upon them natively in CFML, but
> this still doesn't make CFML Java. Plus - on reflection - one can also do
> the same with .NET classes/objects I think and no-one is suggesting CFML is
> C#...?

You can't call .NET assemblies "natively" from CFML. You need an
interop product for that (provided by JIntegra, kind of clunky). The
level of integration is far greater with CFML and Java. A CFML app IS
a Java app, as far as Java is concerned. Your CFML web app has J2EE
sessions (if you checked that box in the CF Admin), and you can write
an application that's half-CFML, half servlet/JSP/POJO classes and
they will share the same memory space - same application and session
scopes. Your .cfm files are themselves servlets.

> CFML is a cool language, but it's dead. The former does not preclude the
> latter.

The long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run
we are all dead.
- John Maynard Keynes

In the short run, I'm still making money with CF. I don't do as much
CF work as I used to, and I do more Java and .NET work than I used to,
but CF isn't dead yet. It's declining, but there's plenty of time
before it hits bottom - and that is the natural state of affairs.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.