+ 1 for this.

There are very few things I even need my Windows VM for (at the moment, I use
it for testing installersÂ… ) . Not sure how a mac would own you, I would guess
in the same way a windows machine would too?

You don't need to know the terminal but it is damn awesome once you start using
it a lot more.

Back to the original question, I would say use Sublime Text 2 and first thing
to do is install package manager.  Also, here are a few videos that might help
you get started with Sublime:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ-bgcJ6fQo

Hope that helps!

Mark Drew