From: Paul Vernon [mailto:paul.ver...@web-architect.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:51 AM
To: cf-talk
Subject: RE: What would you call high traffic for CF8 standard?

I've been looking at the memory usage over the last 24 hours and spotted an
optimisation that may benefit the server.

The MaxPermSize was set to 384MB and the Eden space was set to 256MB.
Looking at the memory usage, the MaxPermSize was nowhere near its limit and
the Eden space was so I've swapped these two values around.

I also took a closer look at the data source settings. There's not a lot to
tweak in there but I figured I'd take a look. Up until now, the Timeout and
Interval for connections were set to the defaults of 20m and 7m
respectively. These are now set at 5m and 2m respectively which should time
out and release abandoned connections much more quickly freeing up much
needed resources.

Currently the server has just over 3,800 active sessions and is averaging
around 200 pages per second and 1600 queries per second and is running fine.
I'll be watching it all afternoon I think.

> Being a job site, aside from the search, are the other CF pages really
> dynamic? You could maybe do things like dump all the job descriptions
> and corporate jargon pages to html a couple times a day and serve those
> instead.

Yes, it's an application for corporate career sites which includes a full
role based CMS. When you log in as a user, the nature of the pages can be
subject to change and the navigation is definitely subject to change. For
this reason alone, the entire site is CF. There are no static pages.

In fact, even the style sheets are CF driven. In order to improve
performance and bandwidth usage, the system has a "style sheet compiler"
which takes a file with @import directives, loads every file and
concatenates them then shrinks them down as small as it can be and serves it
all in one file. The CF intelligently uses client side caching for the style
sheets so more often than not returns a short HTTP 304 rather than serving
the style sheet at all. It makes for very quick, bandwidth efficient sites
:D

> If you have that many page hits, ask yourself how many unique users you
> have in a given time frame. Do you really need sessions in the job
> section?

Again the answer is yes. If you're an internal job seeker, you're logged in
and the search performs differently dependent on your designated "role". For
instance you can see jobs that are marked as "display internally only".

> Depending on the variables in the session those could be eating memory
> up unnecessarily.

The session scope is used sparingly. Around 5 vars are used in total per
session.

> Overall I would say you are just close to the physical limits of the
> server during peak times. A similar 64 bit machine would most likely
> not have issue with that type of load. Maybe time for an upgrade.

I think so too.

Paul