After looking through the logs (and there are a lot of logs) when the server
crashes, the first thing to start appearing is cfquery timing out. The DB
however is fully responsive to other clients when this happens, so the issue
is CF data source related rather than the DB directly. This all happens when
there is a surge in traffic and I've identified the source of this surge as
twitter users.

It seems there are a few Government run careers services on Twitter with
significant numbers of followers that have been tweeting links to jobs and
the job search function on the sites I'm having issues with. Within 30
minutes of a tweet by those accounts, I've got a surge in traffic that
swells to the point that CF gives up.

> It's a good idea but I don't think the change DB time out is saving you
> much. These DB connections are very tiny in terms of resources -
> probably
> around 24k or so. No data is associated with a connection - and a site
> as
> busy as yours will drop fe of the connections from the pool anyway. If
> it
> does drop connections regularly it has to build new ones which takes
> more
> time than pulling one from the pool since it has to authenticate.

I figure that by reducing the time to clean up old unused connections and
increasing the clean up rate, it should at least give CF more capacity to
open connections when there is a surge in traffic. I'm not expecting a huge
difference, just a smoother performance curve with this sort of change.

> Having
> said all that I really don't think this change will be noticeable or
> measurable :)

This may be the case. At the moment stability is much better since I made
the data source and JVM changes this morning although traffic is a bit
quieter today (Monday is our busiest day). Having said that, looking at the
stats right now, I've got over 4000 active sessions on the server at the
moment so it's not that quiet!

Paul