I recently found the reason we were seeing two sets of cfid and cftoken
cookies.  We had code similar to this running:

<cfif myvars.KillSessionOnClose and IsDefined("cookie.CFID")>
    <cfset variables.LocalCFID=cookie.CFID>
    <cfset variables.LocalCFToken=cookie.CFToken>
    <cfcookie name="CFID" value="#variables.LocalCFID#">
    <cfcookie name="CFToken" value="#variables.LocalCFToken#">
</cfif>

Should be a familiar bit of code to everyone - it converts the browser
cookies to session cookies so closing the browser kills the session.  Once
I flipped the setting to shut this off I stopped seeing the second set of
cfid/cftokens (If I had named the domain in the cfcookie statement this may
also have served the same purpose).  However, overall the 'rotating'
sessions no longer seem to be occurring based on user reports etc. so this
was causing no problems currently, and it certainly never caused problems
for many years before the rollover described earlier in this thread.