Having gone through the dot com craze where IPOs were plenty and
everyone was offering stock options and a "piece of the pie" - I will
NEVER work for a percentage of sales again ;-)

I am talking about charging a licensing fee for your software - has
NOTHING to do with the customers sales (other than you may want to have
tiers of monthly charges for various levels of transaction volume).

Don't get caught up in their sales or your hosting costs - it is
software as a service (SaaS) - Microsoft doesn't ask for a piece of the
$ their clients make using their software - they charge what they think
it's worth and enough to make them a profit (MS bashing aside....and yes
I'd be on that bandwagon).

The way I handle it (as my system is customized for most new customers)
is that I charge my cost to do the customizations (or do them for free
if they are not too over the top).  Then I make my money on recurring
revenue froma  per transaction fee I charge to access to my system and
the professional services that come with it.  As long as I am getting my
fee I enhance the system for free and add reports and other
customizations for free.  Those are the broad strokes.

In other words - give them the razor (install/config/test/launch
services) and then sell them the blades (your monthly fee for as long as
they use you).

Hope that better explains what I was on about ;-)

Cheers

*Bryan Stevenson*B.Comm.
President & CEO
Electric Edge Systems Group Inc. - makers of FACTS^(TM)
phone: 250.480.0642
cell: 250.920.8830
e-mail: br...@electricedgesystems.com <mailto:br...@electricedgesystems.com>
web: www.electricedgesystems.com <http://www.electricedgesystems.com>
and www.fisheryfacts.com <http://www.fisheryfacts.com>

-----CONFIDENTIALITY------
This message, including any attachments, is confidential and may contain
information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure. It is intended
only for the person to whom it is addressed unless expressly authorized
otherwise by the sender. If you are not an authorized recipient, please
notify the sender immediately and permanently destroy all copies of this
message and attachments.