I don't like the idea of a new list. Face it. 90% of us are going to join
both lists anyway. Where is the savings?
I run about 10 mailing list, and have run into this problem of too much off
topic stuff a few times. I think I found a way to stop it....
Just assign a few volunteers to be  the policemen.. to enforce the
rules.  State the rules in a message once a week. Require descriptive
subjects, and do not tolerate nonsense posts.
   These "police" watch for bad messages, and send the poster a warning,
explaining the rules, and threatening them if they continue, they
will  require moderation ( a moderator would have to approve anything they
send to the list) for their posts. On the second infraction,  put them on
moderation - until they get a string of "good" posts through.

Al Musella, DPM
Musella Foundation