There are a few things that could be wrong here:

Are you using a cflocation if there is an error?  If so, OnRequestEnd.cfm
won't run before the cflocation takes place.

When you say error, do you mean a runtime error?  I don't think
OnRequestEnd.cfm is processed unless the actual page loads and runs
completely.

The OnRequestEnd.cfm file is processed in the same directory that the
application.cfm file resides, not in the directory the template runs in,
unless that directory contains an application.cfm.

The remedy in these situations would be to cfinclude the OnRequestEnd.cfm
file to make sure it gets processed, one way or the other; before a
cflocation, after an error is caught, or at the end of the template if an
OnRequestEnd.cfm does not reside in the same directory as the
application.cfm that gets processed.

Andy