From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 10:04 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: SOT: Is the Netscape browser still a consideration?

Here's my .02 cents....

 I'm leaning towards giving more consideration to the Netscape 6.0 above
but
I'm not ready to declare Netscape 4.75 dead. I think there's still about
10
percent of the internet users that are using Netscape 4.75. Netscape 6.0
is
coming along real nicely and I've seen some users jumping over from IE
Netscape 6.0.

 It would make sense if someone would overlook some of the small design
differences between Netscape 4.75 and 6.0 +. However, I wouldn't go too
far
in ignoring some of the glaring layout differences. The clients we work
with
generally have no understanding why there's a browser war, why netscape
4.75
doesn't support some of the HTML tags as well as IE does and etc. It
would
hurt the contractors' reputation if they were to ignore 4.75 as of now.

 If anyone wants to work with IE 5.5 and Netscape 6.0+ exclusively then
there
are almost zero differences between those versions. It'll make your job
much
easier.

  I have a small site tracking system on my site and every one user in
about
10 or 15 users are showing up with a 4.75 version. So I have no choice
but to
design sites for 3 different versions. Thus, I'd recommend you do the
same
thing.

> For the longest time, I've coded my sites to take into account
> Netscape users but with the ever-dwindling numbers of Navigator
> afficianados and IE's continued growth, I've been wondering if I
> should even bother worrying about
> whether my sites work with Netscape.
>
> Since this has been one of my best resources for info and some of the
> most talented and savvy people that I've met post to CF-Talk, I was
> hoping that I could get some good feedback.
>
> So, if we consider that the apps that I'm developing will be geared
> towards the Internet consumer at large and I won't have the luxury of
> developing for a controlled environment like a corporate intranet, I
> beg the question:
>
> Should I continue to worry about Netscape? If so, which version should
> serve
> as a baseline?
>
> Looking forward to your responses.
>
> C-ya,
>
> Rey...

Nathaniel Horwitz
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
AIM: NRHorwitz
Fax: 510-573-2298
Web Site: http://www.nathanielhorwitz.com

" What separates winning from losing is the head. The brain sometimes
doesn't
believe in the power of the body"