Hi Dale,

you wrote:

> I'm looking at new production servers, and wanted some opinion on
>

> 1.  Processor AMD vs Xeon, types of Xeon, ie Quad core, single,
> multiple CPU options.
>
> 2.  How much memory (separate App & DB servers)
>

> Also be interested in thoughts on anything else I should be looking at.

The needs for a server are so different depending on its role that it is
hard to have a universal machine that has not got some redundancy in
kit, ie has a capital cost that is not recoverable. The space it has to
go into is also relevant (eg, a 2RU Dell 2950 is cheaper than a 1RU of
the same spec but takes up twice the rack space)

In the replies so far there has been mention of disk space and RAID
arrays. We have found that the current SAS drives are more than big
enough in their own right for almost every need to a server with just
two drives as RAID 1 gives both enough capacity, speed and reliability.
(We use massive storage on a standalone backup machine to give backup
security.) For sheer speed on a dedicated box then RAID 10 is the go but
how often is that needed?

Our flavour-of-the-month is dual quad-core XEON CPUs with 16GB or RAM
which we then virtualise to 8 machines as we feel 2GB per machine is
about right except for DB servers. I posted to CFWatercooler some time
back about the cost of virtual machines v standalone, that is still
pretty correct in terms of dollars and I am pleased to see that CF8
still has the same licensing, ie per server not CPU, which makes virtual
machines much more cost effective.

HTH

Kym K