Andrew Scott wrote:
> But what about downtime?
>
> Raid 5 and Raid 10 provide extremely low downtime, and if they drives are
> hot swappable then there is no downtime at all.

It depends on how and what you measure. RAID 1 also gives no downtime of
hot-swappable (we consider that to be essential, machines with embedded
rives are bad news if one fails). One aspect is the failure rate of the
drives, the really high-reliability folk use batches of RAID arrays with
drives from different batches in each array so the chance of two drives
going down at once are minimised. I have a horror story from the early
days of a brand new RAID 5 array losing two drives at once, instant loss
of all data...... And to match that a horror story for one of our co-lo
clients. Simple/cheap servers, two internal drives in RAID1. Server
techo came along and replaced drive under guarantee and as it was
rebuilding the drive the OS blue-screened, and the tech hit the reset
button just at the moment when the RAID controller was rewriting the
drive partition tables. Result: one very unhappy client.......
> Backups are different altogether...

Not wrong. Speed generally not an issue, capacity is.

Kym K