Exactly how you do it depends on how your provider sends you the
message.    I have one provider that sends messages to me by email,
and another by an xml packet.   Then there's SMPP.   Typically they
tell you how they're going to send it, or give you an option of 1 or 2
methods.  Thats why I needed to talk to you.

Basically you do a deal with a provider, e.g. Optus, Telstra (if
you're a thrillseeker - i dont do any business with Telstra) or any of
a whole host of others in Australia or overseas.  (Technically you can
use an overseas provider - they're just as fast delivering the
messages but the people sending SMS's to you will have to dial an
overseas number.  So overseas providers are ok for outgoing messages
but you really need a local provider for inbound.)   They give you a
number that people can send messages to.  That's the number you have
to put on your outgoing message as the "from" number.  Then they hit
'reply' and send a message which comes to you though that number,   in
whatever format the provider sends.

You have a listener on your website listening to that number, rather
like the way you have a web server listening for http requests from
browsers.   It receives the message and you can process it anyway you
want.  It can trigger other actions,  add stuff to you database,  send
emails,   send out more smss,  whatever you like.

The tricky bit is the listener - thats the bit where you have some
learning to do.   Everything else about this application is no
different to you've been doing on you web sites up to now.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
02-4577-4898
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month