Oh this old chestnut :)

What you are doing is correct, but the timeout can not be enforced by
ColdFusion until AFTER the external net connection has completed.

I realise I'm not describing it very well. Basically it's an inherrent
problem with the java class that handles http connections. ColdFusion can
not respond until the network connection 'gives back'.

It can also occur with CFHTTP and others.

If your service is genuninely 'hung' and gives nothing back, that connection
will remain open for a long time. Not even FusionReactor can kill it :)

(I'm guessing the 60 second time out you are experiencing is on the web
service itself).