Following up my last note, as for determining memory used per request, I
would say there is more to that question than just the simple one asked.
Besides addressing if FR/SF can do it, I would also ask if it's really what
is needed most times.

FR/SF cannot track memory per request:

First, no, neither FR nor SF have what no feature to track memory use per
request. They operate as servlet filters, watching the requests going in and
out of CF. Despite what it may seem, they have no insight into what goes on
in the request while it's running (other than taking a stack trace, or
tracking SQL statements).

Only the CF 8/9 Monitor can:
-----------------------------------

For what you want, being able to see memory use per request, the only
monitor offering that is the CF 8/9 Enterprise Monitor, using its "start
memory tracking" feature. As some here will warn, that's not generally
something that most will want to enable on a production server (the "memory
tracking", I mean), as it can have substantial overhead (and even add to
CF's use of memory)-not always, as some have had no problem. Forewarned is
forearmed. And even then, I've found that even with memory tracking turned
on, it's still not always possible to determine what requests are really
using memory.

Is memory per request really the problem?

Indeed, the fact is (in my experience), the real cause of a lot of use of
memory (that should raise an alarm) is not "per request" use. In such cases,
when the requests finish, they give up their memory they used to be garbage
collected. Now, memory may indeed show as growing even after they finish,
but such "released" memory will eventually be garbage collected. Now, if
memory is NOT GC'ed, then something is holding on to memory. It's not been
released, and that may cause problems over time.

The far more common cause of memory that can't be GC'ed is memory used
that's living beyond the life of any requests, such as sessions, the
application or server scopes, cached queries, and so on. There can also be
memory use (not released) due to a true leak, but those are rare. A common
one is the var scoping bug.

Is an increase in memory really a problem?

As important, I see some people "sweating" because they see memory rising in
various tools. In most cases, it may not be anything to worry about. Memory
WILL increase, as I said above, when requests start, use memory, and end.
The memory used will be marked to be released, but the JVM may not choose
(and often WILL not choose) to do a GC until memory use approaches the
total. People freak when they see memory "rising", but it may just be
normal. What matters is if it CANNOT do a GC. That, then, is when you'll
have problems.

I'll add that another reason I see some sweat it when it seems memory is
"rising" is that in a tool like SeeFusion or the CF 8/9 Monitor, they may
see their memory as being always nearly full. But let me clarify something:
if you have min heap < max heap, those tools are (unintentionally) fooling
you. They are tracking the percent of used memory to allocated, NOT total
memory (max heap). FusionReactor, instead, does track all three
individually: used, allocated, and total (using total memory as the top of
the graph) and computing the percent of memory used as the ratio of used to
total.  Since SF and the CF Monitor track the ratio of used to allocated,
and the top of their memory graphs is the amount allocated, that can be very
misleading. Again, for those who do set min heap=max heap, this is not an
issue. That causes the JVM to pre-allocate all the memory requested, and
then the top number (allocated) is the same as used (the true point at which
memory maxes out) in SF and CF.

But back to the point above: with any of these tools (and whether min
heap=max or not), you may well see memory rising and approaching the total
limit. I'm saying: don't always presume that that's necessarily something to
worry about. In fact, all 3 tools have in them a button you can click to
request a GC. If you do that, and memory drops like a stone, then it's as I
said: this memory that was used, released to be GCed, but the JVM simply
hadn't gotten around to it. If that's the case, then don't worry.

But sure, if you're getting outofmemory errors that are for sure due to the
heap space filling (not all outofmemory errors are about that), then yes you
want to find what is holding on to memory. It may not be any one request,
but the other uses of memory above.

Tracking memory use in Task Manager, other tools

Finally, Dan mentioned watching the memory in task manager (or other OS
memory monitoring), but that is less reliable, as it tracks more than just
heap memory used in the address space. And in fact using those to monitor
memory suffer an opposite impact if you DO set min heap=max heap: since the
JVM then pre-allocates all the memory, the OS perspective shows that all the
memory is used, and you no longer will see it raise/fall with GCs.

Really, you need to use one of the 3 monitors (or as Dave mentioned, a Java
monitoring tool) to really see the heap memory use.

Apologies
------------
I apologize both to those who hate long emails. I've added the headings to
try to help. I apologize as well to those who may regard me a tall poppy for
prattling on with all this information, and worse, for correcting assertions
made by others. I realize it's a risky business, and I really mean no
offense. I just spend my day helping people troubleshoot their CF servers,
and I'm nearly always having to counter these and similar misperceptions in
the community. When you come to understand some of these things, it really
helps put a new perspective on CF. It so often gets blamed for problems that
are really not its fault, or people spend hours/days digging through code to
optimize it, when there's some larger root cause that may have nothing to do
with that. I'm just trying to help stop the madness. :-)

Hope that's helpful. Feel free to give me feedback, pro or con, on thoughts
like these whether on-list of off (char...@carehart.org).

/charlie