On 24/11/2010 09:53, Kai Koenig wrote:
What Steve says is def. contributing to it.

Another thing I'd look into before moving it away from VMWare though would be
the VMWare setup itself, e.g. assigned memory, giving it more CPU power etc.
How's your disk IO looking on that VM?

We use SQL2008 on win2008 R2 on VMs with no issues at all. 500 or 600 transactions per sec on a single server.

Definitely set the vCPU count to 2 or more and scads of RAM, ie dedicate a third or a half of your host to the DB server. Our rule-of-thumb is 3 big-end DB servers per host or 20 CF9 servers :-)

These are dual quad core hosts so give your SQL server the equivalent of two or more cores but the critical thing is 2 or more vCPUs so SQL can split its threads more efficiently as if it thinks it has only one CPU it changes mode internally.

Check your writing rate, if there is a lot then the temp db and the transaction log are getting written to a _lot_, we see several MBps on peaks and then things like your network speed into the SAN infrastructure start affecting things.

--

Yours,

Kym Kovan
mbcomms.net.au