That is odd, Andrew, and no, I've not heard it happening before (but perhaps
others have).

I will ask this, just to make sure we really are talking about the same
thing: when you create the new instance, do you do it using the WAR file
option (where you provide the name of a WAR file during the creation of the
new instance)? Or do you not, which is by far the more typical way?

I ask because it could indeed differ if you do use the WAR file option. For
instance, one can create a WAR file during the install of CF Enterprise, and
use it during the creation of an instance (not that one needs to bother, but
sometimes people find some blog entry that recommends an approach and they
follow it, not knowing any reason to do otherwise.) Well, such a stock WAR
file would indeed then be very vanilla, with nothing but default Admin
settings.

Or you may have created the WAR file from an existing instance (another
option which many never notice), and then used that to build the instance.
If so, perhaps the WAR file was created when you had some settings set but
just not datasources.

But again, the far more common thing is not to bother specifying any WAR
file when creating the new instance. If that's what you're doing, and you
say there are some settings that propagate but not the datasources, that
would indeed be strange.

/charlie