I agree having multple tables makes expansion a lot easier IMO

On 2/8/06, Joe Rinehart <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
Hey Philip,

I personally favor the itty bitty lookup tables.  Most of the time
that I see the Control table implemented, it starts as this:

tblControl
----------------------------
Key
Value
LookupType

Gets changed to this:

tblControl
----------------------------
Key
Value
LookupType
SomethingElseThatWasNeededWhenLookupTypeEqualledFoo
SomethingElseThatWasNeededWhenLookupTypeEqualledBar

And ends as this:

tblControl
________________
Key
Value
LookupType
GenericColumnThatsSometimesNeededBasedOnLookupType
OopsWeNeededAnotherGenericColumnThatsSometimesNeededBasedOnLookupType

...and so on.  The first culprit that comes to mind is something like
lookupType='State', where someone wants StateId, StateAbbreviation,
and StateName.  I find that to big a bigger hassle.

With tools like Reactor, Arf!, etc., it's pretty easy to have gateways
for the itty-bitty tables automagically generated, so maintenance
isn't much of an issue.

Just my $0.02.  I'm sure others go the Control route and are quite happy.

Cheers,

Joe

--
Get Glued!