It depends on the project but I lean towards using lots of small
tables unless I am really convinced that the number of lookups is
going to grow and be simple.

The later did happen on a recent project and the one big table concept
worked really well.  It allowed for the admins to add lookup fields at
will (used for classification stuff that expands all the time).  Then
cause everything was going off the big table the UI and backend code
did not have to be changed one bit to accomodate the extra lookup
types.

Which in my case meant none of the "Can you add xxx to the form,
please" type emails.  Which I liked.

Cheers,

Sam F