    From: "Peter Bell"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Sent: 2/27/06 11:06:29 AM
    To: "CFCDev@cfczone.org"<CFCDev@cfczone.org>
    Subject: [CFCDev] Where use getters (not setters - different discussion)?
      A slightly different angle on a very old debate. I think we all agree that
    getters allow for abstracting the process of returning a value. Today
    getProperty just returns the value, tomorrow it might do a transformation or
    calculation, so using the getter stops that from breaking code in other
    objects.
    They also add some value in terms of introspection (you can see a list of
    methods of a class which helps when reusing components).
    Getters don't hide data per se (only the method of creating the data) as
    whether you have a reference to customer.FirstName or
    customer.getFirstName() in both cases you are assuming there is a first name
    and if that assumption changes your calling object will break - that's just
    life.

    But here is a question. Lets say you are working with queries using a
    gateway. You probably don't want to instantiate a bean for every single item
    in a list of 200 records, but you still want to be able to display
    FirstName. If you add a transformation or a calculation to getFirstName in
    the bean, you ALSO need to add it somewhere in your business layer that
    interacts with the Gateway for displaying queries. This seems like repeating
    ourselves, so I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to put that logic
    further back into the business layer which can operate on both lists of
    customers (using an iterator) and on a single customer before creating the
    bean (BTW do you usually put that kind of business logic into a Gateway?
    where could such logic go?). But if we go that way then the getter will
    NEVER do anything more than just set a value, so you could replace the bean
    with a struct or a simple object with direct access to the variables and the
    only thing you'd be losing was the introspection capabilities (which don't
    matter to us in this case as we active generate the code anyway).

    Looking forward to someone who's been thinking about this more than a few
    weeks to highlight the blindingly obvious point I'm probably missing!

    Best Wishes,
    Peter

email.

    CFCDev is run by CFCZone (www.cfczone.org) and supported by CFXHosting