From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of RADEMAKERS Tanguy
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 11:48 AM
To: CFCDev@cfczone.org
Subject: RE: [CFCDev] Where use getters (not setters - different
discussion)?

>Actually, I don't use beans at all in CF (with the rare
>exception of some web services that have interop requirements),
>so I don't use bean getters and setters - no flame war for you
>queries, even if they're a single row representing a single
>:-P ;-)!  Most of our objects return data entity.
>The query dot-notation is wonderfully elegant, and the native
>manipulation operations that CF provides are too much to pass up.
>Beans add a layer of complexity and overhead in our instance
>that just isn't warranted.  And honestly, in most cases, I
>think beans are overkill.  There *are* many problems that
>beans can solve fairly elegantly, but just like  everything
>else, they should be implemented to solve a problem, not
>just because they're en vogue.

I was thinking more specifically about the section entitled "Draw
thyself", where he argues that it's better (going back to our example of
Product.getValue() -> 3000 vs "$3,000.00") to have a
Product.renderValueAmount() call that either a) returns the string
"$3,000.00" (or else b) returns a component instance capable of
rendering this value) rather than doing the more usual:

<cfset amount = Product.getValue()>
<cfoutput>#DollarFormat(amount)#</cfoutput>

because if Product.getValue() ever changes to return anything other than
a number, then boy are you going to have fun tracking down all the calls
made to that function and wrapping/hacking the subsequent ops made on
that value.

There. That should get me my flame war ;)

/t

email.

CFCDev is run by CFCZone (www.cfczone.org) and supported by CFXHosting
(www.cfxhosting.com).