I¹d sum it up slightly differently:
- If you only write small apps, OO typically isn¹t necessary.
- If you have no experience with OO, your first few projects (large or
small) are going to take much longer than just writing them procedurally.
Same thing would be true if you were to try to code them in Haskell ­
there¹s a learning curve and it costs time.
- If you try to build large applications you have to change a lot,
eventually you¹re going to find OO provides really great ways of solving
common problems.

My recommendations to a single developer trying to maximize productivity
(being one myself ­ if I don¹t deliver I don¹t make payroll):
- If what you are doing is working for you, keep on doing it.
- If not, learn OO using small, test projects that are NOT time critical ­
you¹ll be playing with OO for at LEAST 6 months before it starts to be
quicker and more natural than procedural coding (and it could take longer).
- If you ever want to build bigger apps or even get a better job, learning
OO is not the one true way, but it will help.

Best Wishes,
Peter