Perhaps the mistake was for APL to include an index origin of zero. FORTRAN
has index origin one and so does mathematics. The idea of index origin zero
came from computer programming as it allows the first element of an array
to fall at the address. Software convenience. PLI was interesting in that
it allowed the first element of an array to be DECLAREd as any number.
Basic cheats. When DIMensioning an array as size N it creates N+1 elements
with the first element index zero. But if one wants, there is an index N
element also so one can start from one.