Hmm... here was my approach. I think I got different results:

lucy=: {."1
minna=: {:"1
species=: 2&|
diagnosis=: 1&<
human=: 0=species
vampire=: 1=species
sane=: 0=diagnosis
insane=: 1=diagnosis
invalid=: ~:/"1@(2 2&#:)
both=:*/"1

showSpecies=: ;@{&(;:'human vampire')@species
showDiagnosis=: ;@{&(;:'sane insane')@diagnosis
show=: showSpecies, ' and ', showDiagnosis
possible=: 3 :0"1
 echo 'Lucy is ',(show lucy y),' and Minna is ',show minna y
)

NB. all possibilities
S=: 4 4 #:i.16

NB. He knew that one was a vampire and one was a human
S=: S=:S#~~:/"1 species S

NB. Lucy: "We are both insane"
S=:S#~(invalid lucy S)~:both insane S

NB. Minna: "We are not both insane"
possible S=:S#~(invalid minna S)~:-.both insane S

Running this script gives me two plausible seeming results:

Lucy is vampire and sane and Minna is human and sane
Lucy is vampire and insane and Minna is human and insane

In the ordinal fraction representation, the second possibility was
expressed as 2221 and rejected at the final step of the process:

"Now we know that Minna is an insane human, and so they are not both insane,"

But Mina's statement was that they are not both insane and insane
humans always make false statements according to the rules here.

I am not sure what to make of that part of the ordinal fraction approach.

My way of summarizing this would be:

"Lucy is a vampire",
"Minna is human",
"They are either both sane or both inane".

Thanks,

--
Raul