Hi Donna Y. A cardinal fraction (like "three fourths") measures the size of a
set. An ordinal fraction (like "third fourth") identifies a set. The idea,
name, notation and arithmetic of ordinal fractions was invented in 1980, and in
1986 I submitted a paper to the International Federation for Information
Processing (IFIP). This paper was however rejected for publication. It is now
found on www.academia.edu under my name (Bo Jacoby) or under the title (ORDINAL
FRACTIONS - the algebra of data). Most people don't share my unweakened
conviction that this is immensely useful.