This is absolutely amazing.  What a great furbaby!!  Your did a very good
job training her. 
 
 
 
 
Zippy
-------Original Message-------
 
From: Marina
Date: 7/18/2010 9:51:41 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Chihuahuas] Re: Hi Everyone
 
  
I actually only discovered small breed Service Dogs myself about two years
ago. I was at Disneyland and a friend of a friend had a small Chi Service
Dog. She had a seizure disorder and told me that she didn't need a big breed
dog to warn her of an oncoming seizure. It was such an obvious fact, but one
I had never thought of. It was great timing because my pulmonary Drs had
been discussing the fact that I needed a companion to go to school with me
if I planned to continue my education because of the severity of my
breathing problems. They were thinking about a nurse. I suggested a dog. LoL
 They thought I was crazy at first. Dog hair? Allergies? LoL. But then we
started to discuss small breed dogs and eventually found Lizzie. She is
self-trained, which just means that we didn't purchase or recieve her
through an organization--though there are organizations with small breed
service dogs out there. I found that training her myself, with help from
professsional s, made it easier to train her to my specific needs, rather
than having her trained and then given to me. She has passed all public
access tests and is tagged as a service dog by the state. She's small enough
to travel easily with me everywhere, to ride with me on my electric scooter
when I need to use it, and to sit comfortably in a bag (labeled service dog)
in resturaunts. Her size makes her so convenient. 
But she does have a big job. She can tell when my heart rate is elevated,
when I'm having trouble breathing, when I'm just feeling bad. She is trained
to alert me when my breathing changes, and if I do not take appropriate
action--or my meds aren't working--she is trained to alert to members of my
family. Her real job is when I'm out in the world without my family. She
alerts to me, but if I am unable to speak and need help, she is trained to
unhook her leash and find help. She carries my emergancy medication and
medical information.
We're a great team, and I don't know what I would do without her. I hope
this answers your questions! If you have any more, feel free to ask. Lizzie
and I love to spread the word about great Service Dog teams--especially Chi
partners.

--- In [email protected], "Marina" <mcburge...@...> wrote:
>
> http://groups.yahoo
com/group/Chihuahuas/photos/album/52330304/pic/179101632/view
> 
> Hey everyone,
> 
> Just wanted to introduce myself and my little girl. Lizzie is going to be
four this year, and for the last two years she and I have worked together as
a Service Dog team. She's my Super Service Chihuahua. LoL. She's Medical
Alert, which means that she lets me know when I need medication, and she
also lets others know that I am in need of help when I can not speak for
myself. She's a wonderful comapanion and partner. There are a few pictures
of her on the job, if you follow the link. I'll probably add some more!
> 
> Thanks for this great Chihuahua group!
> 
> Marina
>



 

<<SENDER_EMAIL.png>>

<<[email protected]>>

<<333.jpg>>

Reply via email to