I had a 3 pound Yorkie many years ago. She was more my son's dog though. She
went blind and she would walk around with her head down and use her ears to
feel her way around. When she did that, she seemed to know that something
was in front of her before her ears actually touched it. Maybe she could
sense a magnetic field?? or warmth?, or cold?, or movement?, or was it just
the smell? The the deafness started and before the deafness became permanent
 I taught her how to feel by vibrations in the floor. 

I would bang on the floor with the palm of my hand, and keep doing that as I
got closer and closer to her and then would gently touch her paw and work my
way up to under her chin. After a while she learned that the vibration was
always the same and would come straight to me following what she felt in her
body.  She seemed to have known even when we would walk around the house,
how to get out of the way. Dogs seem to learn to use other senses that 
humans aren't even aware of. I never moved the furniture around, and we
always made sure that we didn't have anything that was different laying
around on the floor. Do you know that my son kept his room exceptionally
clean because of Little Mitzy?!! He was always afraid that she would hurt
herself if he didn't. Finally at 16 we had to send her to the Bridge. 

She was the only dog at the time, so I am not sure how that would work when
you have a pack of dogs, however, I have heard that when there is a pack of
dogs, the others are very much aware of another dogs weakness and as a pack
they guide the old dog around, and that the old dog is just as much aware as
to what's going on even if they are blind and deaf, so I am thinking that
the old dog probably uses the sense of smell which is heighten when the
sight is gone and maybe even vibrations and who knows what else they can
sense, that we humans are not aware of.  For me personally (JMO) I don't
believe in sending an animal to the Bridge unless they are in pain, and
there is nothing else that I can do to make that pain go away.


 
 
 
 
-------Original Message-------
 
From: Judy Moon
Date: 1/23/2012 4:29:01 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: [Chihuahuas] cranky behavior
 
  
Sometimes the abuse never is forgotten even by dogs.  Jewell is now 13 and
has been with me 11 years.  If she is waked suddenly she is in full blown
fight mode.  Now that she is slowly going deaf, I have to be very careful. 
I may soon have to make a decision that I don’t really want to make.
 
Judy Moon, a prayer warrior for Christ
"May grace and spiritual peace be yours from God our Father
and from the Lord Jesus Christ."
Jewell, Mary, Martha, Dakota, Becky, Nicky, Gabby, Joy (dogs)
Dark Angel, Peter, Paul, Leah, Sarah, Tag, Ruth, Esther (cats)
Libby, the parrot
 
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
Behalf Of Joan Croft
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 2:17 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: [Chihuahuas] cranky behavior
 
  
Yes…sadly sometimes the effects of abusive homes cannot really be solved
easily.  With humans there is counseling, but that is hard to solve also…the
memories are there and sometimes no matter how much you forgive, you just
cannot forget.  Bart is good and happy now…he is glad that you gave him that
year and 10 days.
 
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
Behalf Of Judy Moon
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 12:08 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: [Chihuahuas] cranky behavior
 
  
Bart did learn to love me, but when surprised he still bit.  I did not blame
him and only scolded him.  I loved him and spoiled him every day of his year
and 10 days with me.
 
Judy Moon, a prayer warrior for Christ
"May grace and spiritual peace be yours from God our Father
and from the Lord Jesus Christ."
Jewell, Mary, Martha, Dakota, Becky, Nicky, Gabby, Joy (dogs)
Dark Angel, Peter, Paul, Leah, Sarah, Tag, Ruth, Esther (cats)
Libby, the parrot
 
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
Behalf Of Joan Croft
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 12:25 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: [Chihuahuas] cranky behaviot
 
  
Yes.  They are so small and some have had such a hard life before you take
them in.  The issue had to be so much worse for Bart because if he was awake
he couldn’t even see you.  That must have been very stressful for him.  Did
he ever stop growling or biting?
My Mom used to say that before you get married make sure that you like the
other person the way that they are because after marriage it is not going to
change.  Don’t plan on change, but if it happens – for the good – then you
are lucky.  When you get a dog that has been abused or maybe just discarded
because it was blind (so very sad), you have those issues that don’t leave
the dog, but if you train it right and with love then they may change.  Like
I posted about my dog when I was a kid…Skipper…oh my!  He was a little
terror.  We didn’t let him run away because he bit us, but he most likely
had issues because he was passed around so much and maybe we didn’t realize
that there was something to be done that could change him.  My Mom had five
kids, who at that time were between 11 and 17.  She made good dinners every
day, cleaned the house, did the endless laundry of a family of six, and I
must say where in her day did she have time to sit down and do training
exercises with Skipper?  Probably when we came home he was just trying to
feel safe and he had no loyalty to any one person…he was like a roulette
wheel…spin it and see who Skipper will be nice to today!  LOL
 
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
Behalf Of Judy Moon
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 5:05 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: [Chihuahuas] cranky behaviot
 
  
Joan,  You gave a perfect analogy.  However,  I’ll take all the little dogs
and bring them home to me.  I don’t mind a growl or snap or nip from a small
dog.  My blind Bart bit me several times when I touched him and had not
spoken to him……MY FAULT.  I only got to have him for one year and 10 days. 
I still miss the bossy loving little guy…all 7 lbs of him.
 
Judy Moon, a prayer warrior for Christ
"May grace and spiritual peace be yours from God our Father
and from the Lord Jesus Christ."
Jewell, Mary, Martha, Dakota, Becky, Nicky, Gabby, Joy (dogs)
Dark Angel, Peter, Paul, Leah, Sarah, Tag, Ruth, Esther (cats)
Libby, the parrot
 
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
Behalf Of Joan Croft
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 6:23 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: [Chihuahuas] cranky behaviot
 
  
I just want to add something from my post of yesterday:
Yes, Desi growled when I moved him.  When he was tiny, he didn’t sleep as
sound as he does now.  I rarely have to move him any more, but when I do he
does that growling sound when he is asleep.  That is why I figured out that
it was more like a ‘don’t disturb me’ that you get out of a human if you
push them or move them when they are sleeping.
With Dolly…she hasn’t done the snapping thing except for once or twice, but
then she looks at me like she knows she was bad and then gives me some
kisses.  You really shouldn’t expect to move them – or come up to them with
your face right there – when  they are asleep.  What would you do if you
were sleeping and sensed someone there and opened your eyes and there you
saw someone’ head and face?  You would probably jump through the ceiling.  I
believe that the growling and a little snapping is more related to you
disturbing them when they are sleeping.  
It doesn’t matter if the puppy is 5 weeks old or 5 years old.  Just think
how you would really like it if every time that you fell asleep you were
moved and looked at like in a microscope.  I don’t have human kids, but I
bet that if you moved your baby, toddler, or even a small child when they
are sleeping, you would get some sort of response…most likely they would
start to cry uncontrollably.
Just think of the circumstances.  If your dog growls at you every time that
you touch him; or she is a bit snappish all of the time…then that is
something that needs to be corrected…maybe by a water spray bottle; maybe by
turning them on their back and holding them down gently telling them that
whatever it was is not acceptable and you don’t want them to do it again.
You are all talking about how many dogs are in shelters…what if most are
there because the owners didn’t like them growling or snapping when they get
woke up and actually scared by a big head in front of them.  That is not a
reason to discipline…you wake them, and then you don’t think that they are
confused because they were sleeping and you disturbed them.  You will learn
perhaps how to move them to make them not react…and someone said to do it
when you have already started talking to them.  I was just doing it
subconsciously, but last night Dolly turned and she had both of her back
legs digging into my stomach like they were stuck inside there.  I said her
name first, and then told her that I have to move her a little.  She is fine
with that, and like I said, Desi doesn’t exactly go it so much anymore, and
I think that if I did have to move him, I probably do talk to him to tell
him what I am doing.
 
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
Behalf Of diana roller
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:09 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] cranky behaviot
 
  
Just because she doesnt like people in her face does not mean that she needs
to be disciplined. Dogs have an instinct as to what people they can trust.
Also, has anyone taken the time with her to socialize her ~ gently and over
a period of time, NOT JUST A SNAP ON THE NOSE?????? It sounds like you are
being way too impatiant with her as well as expecting too much too soon.
Dogs are like kids, each personality is different. Maybe she just needs a
little extra loving and gentle care.
I will take her off your hands if you like. I hate to see you both so upset.
Sincerely, Diana
 
From: sheila <[email protected]>
To: [email protected] 
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 5:02 AM
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] cranky behaviot
 
  
Yeah, I think you are over reacting. Itsy will do this because she does not 
like being startled or bothered when she is sleeping. I always make it a 
point to say her name name and here girl, come on girl time to go out. She 
is fine then. Don't get your feelings hurt, it is not personal, it is a 
reaction.

I guess my point is that not all things fit all dogs. Sounds to me like she 
just does not want to be bothered while she is resting. Not all dogs will 
always be alike.

Ask yourself how she is otherwise? Is this the only time she does that?

Sheila

-----Original Message----- 
From: Lynda
Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2012 9:41 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] cranky behaviot

Hi Everyone,
I'm noticing some behavior in Charlotte (3 mos chi), that I have never 
experienced and do not like. My other 2 dogs are sweet, well behaved, 
loving, even tempered loves. I've worked with them & they are such wonderful

dogs-well trained & very respectable. (altho they've trained me well too) 
LOL
I've noticed when I lean over to kiss Charlotte when she's sleeping she 
snaps @ my face. The first time she did this I was shocked! Did it again and

couldn't believe it-my feelings were hurt. Then I went to move her & she 
growled. I gave her a 'no' command each time but she doesn't even react to 
the command. I tapped her nose once & said 'no', but she just curled up & 
when back to sleep. I will not accept this behavior so I make a point of 
'bothering' her sometimes when she's sleeping so we can work on this. 
Anybody have any other ideas?
Lynda

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links
 



No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1901 / Virus Database: 2109/4760 - Release Date: 01/22/12



No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1901 / Virus Database: 2109/4761 - Release Date: 01/23/12



No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1901 / Virus Database: 2109/4761 - Release Date: 01/23/12

 

<<attachment: TRANSP~1.PNG>>

Reply via email to