UPDATE FROM THE GUIDE TO CHODOSH

NEWS AS OF SEPT 15 03

CORRECTION TO THE GUIDE

The Guide has not yet been mailed out and there is already a correction thanks to an alert person who called the Hot Line to provide me with new contacts at the company in question: Natural Ovens breads are all Chodosh at this time, with the exception of the Best Burger Buns.

PDF VERSIONS OF THE GUIDE

As mentioned below from my earlier announcement, I offered to make the PDF version of the Guide available to all those who request it by E mail. I have since received a very large number of such requests. It is not possible for me to respond to all of those using the old manual one-by-one response approach I used last year. Meanwhile, someone is kind enough to be working on an approach so that people should be able to request the PDF version without the need for my direct intervention, the way that you can already request the text version. I have saved all the existing requests for the PDF report without answering them. I hope to have the auto-response approach working within a day of two. I will send out a new message when it will be available. Meanwhile I am asking that you please excuse the delay.

WHY THE GUIDE DOES NOT HAVE A WEB PAGE ON THE INTERNET

Last week I sent out a message which indicated that I am honoring a psak halacha not to use Web pages on the Internet. Several people have responded to that with varying levels of incredulousness. Some people asked that I discuss the reasonability of such a psak. I do not have the qualifications, ability, or time to enter into such discussions. The approach of the Guide over all of the years has been that we do not force any psak halacha on anyone else. Therefore we have always presented Chodosh-related facts and urged the reader to ask his and her own halachic questions. In this case, years ago I accepted, bli neder, on myself the psak not to use any Web pages for the Chodosh project. I hope to continue passing Chodosh-Yoshon related information to the interested public as in the past, within the constraints inferred by this psak.

NEWS AS OF SEPT 12 03

The first issue of the Guide to Chodosh has gone to the printer. It is expected back on Monday or Tuesday, Sept 15 or 16. It will be mailed out to the local distributors and paid subscribers as soon as possible thereafter. Meanwhile, we have prepared two versions of this Guide to be available by E mail, at no charge to your. One is a text only version that any E mail reader can read. The other is a PDF file that can only be read by the Adobe PDF reader program.

This years Guide has the first major change of format in the 31 years of its publication. We have assigned one of 5 categories to each items listed in the Guide, indicated by the Hebrew letters aleph, beis, gimmel, daledand ches. These are measures of the reliability of the claim to Yoshon and the ease of finding the Yoshon item in the stores. These symbols work fine in the printed and PDF versions of the Guide. However, they are lost, replaced by ?in the text only version.

To order the text only version to be sent to you automatically, send an E mail message to:

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

In the body of the message type:

Get Guide.txt

Make sure you capitalize as shown. DO NOT send this request to the yherman E mail address.

To order the PDF version, send an E mail message to <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED] In the subject line, state that your are requesting the PDF file. We will try to send this file to you as an attachment by return E mail as soon as possible.

Meanwhile we plan to disseminate information on a frequent basis via E mail and news recordings on the voice Hot Line (845-356-5743). If you find the frequent E mails annoying, you may unsubscribe from the E mail list, as described below.

NEW ADDRESS FOR ORDERING THE GUIDE TO CHODOSH

Those who wish to order the 3 printed issues of the Guide to be printed through the season should send a check for $15 to our new address. (This address is only for subscription-related matters.) Project Chodosh subscriptions, PO Box 297279, Brooklyn, NY 11229.

Our current preliminary date estimates follow:

Freshly baked products in local bakeries such as breads, challehs, rolls, bagels probably Chodosh starting: Sept 1 in the East and Far West, Aug 15 in the Mid West.

Packaged foods containing wheat, other than pasta: Probably Yoshon if packed before Aug 15. Probably Yoshon if purchased up to Sept 5. After that package codes have to be used.

Packaged pasta probably safe if packed before Sept 15, probably safe to purchase up to Oct 6. After that package codes have to be used.

Foods containing oats probably safe if packed up to Sept 23, probably safe to purchase up to Oct 14. After that package codes have to be used.

Foods containing barley (other than malt) probably safe if packed up to Sept 15, probably safe to purchase up to Oct 6. After that package codes have to be used.

SPECIFIC BRAND INFORMATION UPDATED SEPT 12 03

The following are cutoff packing dates for specific products.

Barley: Gefen-Yoshon at least up to package code of 0805 (Aug 5, year not used).

Benco, Trinidad, Peak, Jack Rabbit Chodosh packing date Sept 15, Goya-Chodosh starting Oct 15. Quaker-Dec 15, Arrowhead Dec. 1. Unger-according to the mashgiach plans for producing Yoshon barley have not yet been finalized.

Oats Chodosh packing dates: Quaker-Aug 21, ConAgra, -Sept 21, Arrowhead-Sept 23, Maypo-Oct 1, General Mills (Cheerios, etc.)-Oct 20.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] Then if you wish to resume receiving these messages from your new service, send a message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can request several reports by sending an E-mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Then in the body of the message type the command: "get" (without the quotes) followed by the name of the file that you want. Type each request on a new line. Make sure that you copy the file name exactly as spelled including capital letters. These reports are now available:

Get Guide.txt

This gets the text-only version of the latest Guide to Chodosh.

get Guidelines.txt

This gets a long report on Guidelines to Mashgichim on Chodosh. This has not been updated in the last two years, but is still substantially valid.

get News.txt

This gives the latest news bulletin, such as this note.

Project Chodosh is an independent activity, not affiliated with any movement

or organization. We thank the Jewish Internet Fund (JIF) for allowing us to use

their E mail distribution services. The JIF provides free email

and web hosting to Jewish education and outreach organizations.