On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 8:06 AM, PaulTopping <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As far as I know, NPAPI requires that
> the amount of space the equation takes up on a page be known in
> advance, rather than be calculated at run-time to be dependent on the
> MathML content. There is no support for baseline alignment of the
> equation with the surrounding text. The rendering can't adapt to the
> font and point size of the surrounding text, an absoluter requirement
> for math. There is no connection to accessibility.

It does indeed sound like you would be best served by direct renderer
support.

Authors are not
> interested in writing separate MathML files. With a typical technical
> paper containing hundreds of equations, it very quickly becomes a
> nightmare.

I suspect debate about the best form of markup for equations is beyond the
scope of this list (and more in-scope for HTML5 and similar lists).  I think
Darin was merely trying to help you accomplish as much of your goal as
possible within the current landscape.

MathML is not such a niche thing.

OK.

> The code to render both visually and
> aurally is available. It just needs the browser makers to support the
> right kind of glue (ie, plugin APIs).

As far as I can tell, supporting plugin APIs at this low of a level is
required for _your business model_, not for any arbitrary MathML
implementation in principle.  That's fine; I have no problem with you
wanting to write a closed-source plugin for MathML support.  But given that
it doesn't overlap much with the needs of most of the other browser
features, fixes, and enhancements that users and authors call for, the
perceived benefits of such a plugin framework will be low.  I suspect it
will not happen unless some of your engineers write patches to support it;
if the patches are viewed to provide more benefit than cost (in terms of
code complexity, maintenance, performance effect, etc.), the browser vendors
will take them.

For future reference, you may want to bring things up on the webkit-dev
mailing list, since that's more appropriate for discussion of the WebKit
rendering engine Chromium uses.

PK