Hi est,

If you happen to be using a Chromium (blue logo) build, then this is the
expected behavior.  The feature is currently available as a preview via the
Google Chrome dev channel, but not in Chromium branded builds.  Sync won't
be usable in Chromium until we can build the feature entirely from source.
To recap from Tim's email that started this thread:

We've been working in a proprietary environment until now because of the
dependency of having to build the complementary Google production server
environment for syncing.  As such, the code uses a small number of internal
libraries that we need to open-source or replace, as well as libraries that
would be redundant to what Chromium already includes. . . . We do *not* plan
on ever checking in the windows-only syncapi dll to the main chromium
repository.  So until the dll is no longer needed, the public repository
won't have all the bits to actually build Chromium with sync enabled.

The glue code is out in the open already, and several of us are working on
getting the sync engine library to build as a fully open source part of
Chromium.

 - nick