+1 to what Tony (and Evan and others) have said.  The stated goal *is* to
convert the official builds to Make, but we need to get the Make generator
(gyp backend) on par with the other generators.
Gyp now has a test infrastructure that we're using to characterize the
various generator behaviors, and find and fix the inconsistencies.  This is
important for converting the buildbots to Make because, naturally enough,
the Make generator has grown up around one primary goal--faster developer
builds--and the buildbots have some additional requirements.

Anyone who has some cycles to contribute towards this should join
gyp-developers (or contact me), or as Tony said, at least open up issues so
everything that has to be fixed before converting can be tracked and
prioritized.

        --SK