Are you positive it's the per-file presubmit checks slowing things down?  If
so, maybe the presubmit stuff needs to be re-factored?  Right now, it does
each presubmit check one by one (and each check might read in the files).
 If it were changed to go file by file (reading fully into memory, running
all the per-file pre-submit checks at once) it miight be faster.
That said, it would surprise me if this was adding more than a second or two
to the time.  I bet most of it is waiting on other servers and such.