On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Jeremy Orlow <jor...@chromium.org> wrote:

>>> Once again, we don't want to add more state to the test_expectations.
>>>  How may people looked up the tests they were supposed to rebaseline in this
>>> file to see if there were notes?  I kind of doubt anyone.
>>>

>> Um... this makes no sense to me.  You can't rebaseline a test without
>> modifying test_expectations.  In modifying it, you *have* to look at it.
>>  It's pretty difficult to miss comments above tests as you're trying to
>> write "REBASELINE" or delete the line.
>>
>> If you somehow managed to not see any comments in this file, I think
>> you're an outlier.
>>

> I was talking about the rebaselining teams, not the act of actually
> rebaselining.  If someone's rebaselining a test, then it means we now
> believe it's passing.  At that point, the notes are not very interesting,
> right?  Are you saying that you looked at all the tests' notes before you
> looked through the results to determine if they should be rebaselined?

We're trying to leave all comments in the bugs now, rather than in the
test_expectations file, so there's only one point of contact. We used to
leave extensive comments in the file, but they always grew stale. And yes, I
looked at the bug for every test that I thought was correct, usually to
write "tests A, B and C are still bad, but D was actually correct and is
being re-baselined".

>> There are different reasons for failing.  A layout test could be failing
>>> because of a known bug and then start failing in a different way (later) due
>>> to a regression.  When a bug fails in a new way, it's worth taking a quick
>>> look, I think.
>>>

>> Why?  Unless the earlier failure has been fixed we can't rebaseline the
>> test.  (I ran into a number of tests like this when doing my rebaselining
>> pass.)  What is the point of looking again?
>>

> In case the new failure is more serious than the earlier one.

True. But I don't think this will happen often, and I'd rather devote the
time to fixing the tests.

- Pam