On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Darin Fisher <da...@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Brett Wilson <bre...@chromium.org>wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Avi Drissman<a...@google.com> wrote:
>> > I've heard people proclaim the principle of being able to copy a profile
>> > across systems as being a deciding factor for certain changes (e.g. the
>> > history epoch change). However, it doesn't seem to be universally held
>> or
>> > obeyed, and I'm not sure to the extent to which it can be obeyed. So
>> some
>> > questions:
>> >
>> > - Is "profile platform independence" a guiding principle?
>> > - To what extent do we work to make it reality?
>>
>> I don't think this is a guiding principle. We should do it when it's
>> reasonable. I think most places it is reasonable to do so.
>>
>> > - In the cases where it can't be kept (e.g. download folder path) should
>> we
>> > keep a copy for each platform?
>>
>> I don't think so.
>>
>> > - Is it worth rewriting today's code that doesn't conform (e.g.
>> extensions
>> > and themes which use full paths and platform path separators)?
>>
>> I don't think so, although I do wonder if full paths are necessary,
>>

> It was painful to remove all of the full paths from mozilla's profile.  It
> was something people wanted because they wanted to be able to just copy
> their profile from one computer to another.  Think of moving a profile from
> WinXP to Vista where the path to your windows profile changes.

I think moving between different versions of the OS is a simpler and more
common problem than moving between different OSs.  I could come up with
convoluted scenarios about why I'd want to move my profile between different
OSs, but if it's not a common user request, then it's not worth the effort
IMO.