Subject: The Butterfly House & Walk Story Sources: Garden Tour notes

Author: David Riddle

The Butterfly House was first used as a game larder between 1869-1889 by the
Colquhoun family who owned the Chartwell Estate between 1830 and 1921. In 1924,
Churchill and Philip Tilden, his architect, converted the larder to a summer
house by removing the east wall. In 1946 it was converted again, this time to a
Butterfly House. Churchill used it for raising caterpillars, chrysalises, etc.
and received advice from butterfly expert L. Hugh Newman who owned a butterfly
‘farm’ in nearby Sidcup. Lady Churchill planted buddleia, lavender and other
nectar-rich flowers to encourage the butterflies. Winston changed the Walk from
gravel to turf and stepping stones in 1950.

A few years ago one of the current gardeners, who is a keen lepidopterist,
decided to reinstate the custom of rearing butterflies and in 2013 one of the
Garden Volunteers who used to manage a butterfly farm, took over most of this
responsibility. It is hoped to instigate a regular release program from now on.

David Riddle
White Cottage
4 Sunningvale Avenue
Biggin Hill, Westerham