charles wrote:
This is all using the ephemeral user model on opensolaris, so only the SIDs are
stored permanently on opensolaris, the uids and username 'just passing through
in memory', the ACLs importantly remaining associated to the SIDS (this is my
experience with ACLs but I am unsure how stable the permanency of ACLs are
considering the appear to be associated with temporoay uids in opensolaris if
you interrogate with /usr/bin/ls -V  ?)

It is the SIDs that are stored in the file system. When you look at the file with ls -V, the SIDs are being mapped to ephemeral IDs to be handed to ls and thence displayed.

(I don't know enough about scaling issues to answer that part authoritatively.)