Hi Dick,

I'm not a developer, just a user, but I had the same problem.
The following recipe worked for me, and I hope it helps.
I'm just cutting/paste from my wiki.

Create the share:
~# zfs create -o casesensitivity=mixed -o nbmand=on pool/tank
~# zfs set aclmode=passthrough pool/tank              # These 2
parameters are needed if you are
~# zfs set aclinherit=passthrough pool/tank           # also going to
share files with NFSv3
~# zfs set sharesmb=on pool/tank
~# zfs set sharesmb=name=tank pool/tank

Change the ACLs:
~# cd /pool/tank
~# chmod A=everyone@:r-----a-R-c--s:-------:allow . # needed for nfs3
mount by root
~# chmod A+group@:rwxp----------:fd-----:allow .
~# chmod A+owner@: rwxp---A-W-Co-:fd-----:allow .
~# chmod A+group:some_group:rwxpd-aARWc--s:fd:allow .
~# chmod A+group:admin_group:rwxpdDaARWcCos:fd:allow .

The first 3 lines will make the trivial ACLs look like (drwxrwxr--)

Regards
John