Ryan John wrote:
Hi Jordon,

-----Original Message-----
From: Jordan Brown [mailto:jordan.br...@oracle.com]
Sent: Wed 5/19/2010 9:03 PM
To: Ryan  John
Cc: cifs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [cifs-discuss] URGENT no users can access CIFS
John Ryan wrote:
I got around the initial problem, but I'd still be very interested to find out what went wrong. To get out of trouble, I first rebooted, and it seemed to work for a while, but then after about an hour, all connection attemps failed, and the logs were ful of idmap errors.

I then stopped idmap, renameded the idmap.db in /var/run/idmap, reset my name mapping rules, and rebooted.
I didn't see any more idmap errors in the log.
Some of the CIFS folks can probably chime in on what CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO really means.

For idmap errors, I would look at /var/svc/log/system-idmap:default.log and at /var/adm/messages.

The only errors I got in messages were: (lots of)
May 19 13:45:03 bs-ssvr05 smbd[553]: [ID 266262 daemon.error] NT
Authority\Anonymous: idmap failed
May 19 13:46:47 bs-ssvr05 smbd[553]: [ID 266262 daemon.error] D\ryanj: idmap
failed
May 19 13:47:28 bs-ssvr05 smbd[553]: [ID 266262 daemon.error] D\ryanj: idmap
failed

I would also enable idmap debugging by:
   # svccfg -s idmap setprop config/debug = boolean: true
   # svcadm refresh idmap

This is already like that. Again there was nothing unusual in
/var/svc/log/system-idmap:default.log

If the SMB server is having trouble talking to the domain controller, it is no surprise that idmap is also having trouble.

There was no problem contacting the domain controller. I managed to rejoin the
domain several times.
There was an error contacting the domain in
/var/svc/log/system-idmap:default.log.0, but there are no timestamps in this
file for 7 days, so I don't know when it happened.

Not that it's directly relevant to your problem, but I've filed
6954307 Timestamp log entries
(Unfortunately, that will make reading the file more painful because the lines will all get that much longer.)

Further digging, and I came across Bug 6907210 and wondered if I had hit this.
The reason is, the afternoon before, we had some changes to our LDAP schema, so
I changed some idmap name rules.
The "idmap failed" errors started at 15:00 that very afternoon.

Hmm. I'd have to do a bit of archeology to be sure, because I've rewritten the logging code, but I believe that if you encounter that bug you will get the "Database error" message shown in the CR: Database error on /var/run/idmap/idmap.db while executing UPDATE idmap_cache SET w2u = 0 WHERE sidprefix = 'S-1-5-21-3591674789-480817656-4239000414' AND rid = 500 AND w2u = 1 AND pid >= 2147483648 AND is_user = 1; (columns sidprefix, rid, is_user, w2u are not unique)
in /var/adm/messages.

I could only fix the problem by deleting and recreating the idmap database.

Right now this isn't ringing any bells.  Are you back up?

Assuming you're back up, I recommend:

1) Upgrade to build 141 when it comes out. It should have some significantly improved diagnostic capabilities for idmap.

2) If you encounter the failure again, save off /var/run/idmap/idmap.db and /var/idmap/idmap.db for me to look at.

Regards
John
Regards
John

Ryan John wrote:
Hi,

I have an urgent problem.

None of our users can access our fileservers.

I get this in the error log:

smbd[12228]: [ID 653746 daemon.info] SmbLogon[D\ryanj]: CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO

This was working fine until yesterday.

I've tried rejoining the domain, which succeeded and restarting idmap

What else can I do?

I attach the output from gendiag

Thanks in advance

John Ryan