On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 10:32 PM, Paul Taggart <ptagg...@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
> Attached is a rather massive patch to apply against the "stable" version
> of Cinelerra-cv. The patch cleans up calls to depreciated functions in
> alsa, fixes a number of typos (like assigning a single byte unsigned
> variable a value of 256 instead of 255),

Ok

> over 10,000 additions of (char*) to text strings where g++ warned of it being
> a depreciated
> conversion.

It is wrong. You have to use 'const char*' in places where you use
these strings.
This enables compiler to store only one copy of identical texts and
identifie places where someone tries to modify string constant (it is
a bug). I have done this in my branch.

> FFMPEG version 0.8 required a number of changes that are reflected in
> other patches but I've also added a fix to fileac3.C to fix ffmpeg's
> change to the ac3 codec to be only floating-point. A new codec, or at
> least a renaming of the old codec, ac3_fixed and a few other statements
> to allow ac3 rendering to work.

Ok. But I have seen similar patch already.

> videodev.h needs to be added to the cinelerra subdirectory.

No. Never include a system header into an application. There will be
some solution in the next official version of cinelerra.

> On another note, the Fedora distribution uses a broken version of the
> Einar build that causes a problem when rebuilding from source. Somehow
> the audio buffer size (in .bcast directory) gets set to zero which
> causes the stable version to crash when attempting to playback a video.

a) my version is experimental and recommended only for person wanting
to help to develop and debug this.
Of course it is possible sometimes to render a project with this :)
b) officially: bacward compatibility is one way - newer version reads
projects and configuration files of an older version, no efforts will
be made to make any files suitable for older versions
c) It is a feature of my branch. Audio buffer size zero means that
cinelerra calculates size of audio buffer automatically.

Do not send huge patches fixing everything. Please send smaller
patches fixing one problem a time.

Thank you for the patch, but it is not usable.

Einar