On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Paul Taggart <ptagg...@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
> Frankly I was trying to get these patches into the hands of a developer, not
> make it public, but this seemed to be the only path. When the "stable"
> distribution didn't compile, I needed to troubleshoot and the number of
> warnings for minor issues masked the real issues.

Yes it is the only path.

> I tried 'const char*' in many places but that just caused more errors so I
> just used 'char *' because the g++ compiler defaulted to using that
> definition but then gave a warning message. I will look at updating to
> 'const char*' but since there were roughly 10,000 incidents of this warning,
> it will not be a high priority.

No, it is fixed like in commit '2010-03-12
e9f02b357ce4f6b5df7af178cc0b92f1febf5120 Fixed compiler warnings
related to bchash'. Less than 10000 places to fix. (commit fom my
tree)

> The patch for fileac3.C that you saw before was actually extracted from this
> large patch.
>
> /usr/include/linux/videodev.h is obsolete is no longer included in
> kernel-headers-2.6.40.3. As such, cinelerra will not compile on Fedora 15.
> The accepted quick workaround is to replace the system header file with a
> local one. If I have time, I will look into using videodev2.h directly.

It is not accepted workaround. More acceptable patches are hanging around.

> I don't know who controls atrpms but the build for Fedora 15 is definitely
> wrong.

The call themselves '3rd party' and build rpms of programs not in
official distributions. It is not bad. But everyting you install
outside ofiicial distribution may have some quirks. Use at your own
risk.

> I'm currently working on upgrading the internal ffmpeg to version 0.8.2.
> What should I do when I get a working build?

Send patches to this ML. Try not to include changes of ffmpeg itself.
Try not to break support of older versions.

My idea is to exclude ffmpeg from cinelerra tree and use external
ffmpeg. But I see a lot of complications there. At least it needs
support of multiple different versions of ffmpeg.

Einar