On Thursday 09 August 2007, Troy Beisigl wrote: > Does anyone know what the total bandwidth limitations are on the WS-X5302?
The RSM is essentially a 7500's RSP2 with a Cat5K interface processor on it; which means 5K pps/2.56Mbps process switching and 220K pps/112Mbps CEF. As already mentioned, the RSFC is about twice as fast, but IOS limited to 12.1 instead of the RSM's 12.2. The RSFC also requires a Supervisor IIG or IIIG to work (it physically mounts on the supervisor; this means a max of 2 RSFCs in the chassis, in slots 15 and 16, with even the one on the standby supervisor being active) , whereas the RSM will work with any Cat5k supervisor, and you can have several in the chassis (there is a limit, I think it's seven or eight). If you have NFFC I or II (the Sup IIIG includes NFFC II functionality) you can enable MLS and dramatically increase your throughput (up to the Supervisor's switching limit, typically 1.2Gbps per bus for the three Cat5500-series buses) for certain flows. See Kennedy Clark's Catalyst LAN Switching CCIE book for the details. Incidentally, the RSM will do reasonable NAT reasonably quickly. I'm using a Cat 5509 with a pair of RSM's (one with the VIP2 piggyback) here, and I'm getting pretty good results, if not stellar bandwidth, some good results. -- Lamar Owen Chief Information Officer Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute 1 PARI Drive Rosman, NC 28772 (828)862-5554 www.pari.edu _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
