>> Get the ethernet ones only. Your provider can provide the dsl/atm >> modem/bridge. >> >> Much more flexible and likely to be more reliable, [...] > > I can't second that.
Much agreed. The only time I'm comfortable w/ provider-supplied CPE on low-end connections is if we're stuck w/ PPPoE as you know there's nothing sitting on your L3 path (and have a 'clean' PtP interface that properly reflects real link-state). As mentioned, the lack of remote diagnostics is painful -- this is the main reason DOCSIS is now palatable is the HWIC; being able to troubleshoot, bounce and interface, etc without finding a user to stare at LED's and pull power cords is a huge advantage. Owning the lasthop onto the WAN also means you're in much better control of congestion management; otherwise you're guessing at actual interface capacity and having to shape egress on an FE port. Alternatively (and I'm guessing most commonly) you're spewing 100mbit/s and hoping that DSL 'router' dujour happens to queue and drop the way you want it to... _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
