At 08:33 PM 10/26/2007 +0100, Phil Mayers wrote: >On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 13:08 -0500, Justin Shore wrote: > > Phil Mayers wrote: > > >> Is there a HSRP option to tell the standby router to only route traffic > > >> when it's active? VRRP and GLBP would have the same problem I imagine. > > >
What exactly do you mean by not route traffic? HSRP on the standby does not route traffic for the HSRP vmac, it drops the traffic on the floor. If it did not do this when you have a unicast flood packet both switches would forward the packet and have duplicate packets. Then you have the case of the end station using the real interface of the standby router instead of the vmac and that still a valid requirement to need to forward frames. Ian > > > No. This is a frequently requested feature. > > > > I think I'll ping my account team to add my voice to the list. This > > seems like an awfully easy feature addition to me. I can't think of any > >At first hearing it does indeed seem easy. Having put some thought into >why Cisco don't offer this (fairly obvious) feature, I've concluded >there are some non-trivial difficulties doing it in the fully general >cases that HSRP can support, and on some forwarding architectures. > > > > downside to doing it either. > > > > Justin > >_______________________________________________ >cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] >https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp >archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
