Ian Cox wrote: > What exactly do you mean by not route traffic? HSRP on the standby does > not route traffic for the HSRP vmac, it drops the traffic on the floor. > If it did not do this when you have a unicast flood packet both switches > would forward the packet and have duplicate packets. Then you have the > case of the end station using the real interface of the standby router > instead of the vmac and that still a valid requirement to need to > forward frames.
Ian, The standby router won't route for the vmac but it will route traffic per it's RIB that's directed to the standby's interface IP. I tested it this evening on my way home. I hardcoded my gateway to be the interface IP on the standby router. My outbound traffic flowed through the standby and my inbound flowed through the active, thus subverting the specific rate-limit I intended to impose on legit traffic. I'm specifically talking about upstream traffic from the client, not downstream from the HSRP routers. Downstream will always flow out the active as expected. I probably didn't word that well in my first message; does that make more sense? Thanks Justin _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
