Phil Mayers wrote: >> I'm specifically talking about upstream traffic from the client, not >> downstream from the HSRP routers. Downstream will always flow out the >> active as expected. > > Not always. The HSRP standby has an active connected route for the > subnet and will (may) export it via a routing protocol, so the return > path *may* in some topologies be via the standby.
That is true. Ideally that wouldn't happen but I can see where it would happen even in my own network. If our primary 7600 in the core goes down then traffic to our DC will be routed through the second 7600 and to the second DC router. Now, in our case I am doing interface tracking on the interface facing the 7600s so unless the IGP melts down on the primary 7600 instead of the router crashing we should have an interface state change to work with to force HSRP to react. Our IGP has only melted down 3-4 times so far this year so it's not that unlikely I suppose (long story). This would be a good application for BFD-enabled HSRP. Of course you first have to have BFD support in your routers, the right version of BFD, BFD for IS-IS and BFD for BGP (hint, hint). Not complaining; just hinting strongly, maybe even begging... Justin _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
