Hi,

No problem with any delay, I'm glad you answered.

The configuration you suggest is fine but the question is (and has been all along) whether this will police individual traffic flows or the aggregate traffic matched by the acl? I don't know for sure, but I believe it is more likely to be the second case. If so, I think this could not be a sufficient solution because someone could still effectively "drown" SAP by sending a lot of traffic to the group, which would "compete" with the rest of the legitimate SAP traffic for the same 100 Mbps. Furthermore, due to the nature of SAP, letting such a high speed flow pass through the router and reach the end systems (SAP listeners) would still have a detrimental effect on them, since they only expect to see and process low bitrate traffic. For these reasons we probably need a solution that will rate-limit/ police each flow individually. The interface configuration command "ip multicast rate-limit" used to do this, but we need something that will work on platforms where this is not supported, and also perhaps a more generic approach. I don't know what that solution could be though... I'm afraid that something could be micropolicing, which I think is quite "expensive" and only supported on a small number of systems/ configurations.

I hope you can look into this and verify or falsify these assumptions. Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,
Z.

On 18 Ιουν 2008, at 6:54 ΜΜ, Arie Vayner (avayner) wrote:

Zenon,

Sorry for the delay, as I was a bit overloaded.

Looking at the following link, I see that SDP/SAP is assigned the range of 224.2.0.0/16:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk828/technologies_white_paper09186a00802d4643.shtml#wp1005088

So you can use the configuration example below to rate limit it to 100Kbps:

class-map match-all SDP-SAP-MCAST
 match access-group name SDP-SAP-MCAST
!
policy-map GENERIC-INGRESS
 class SDP-SAP-MCAST
  police 100000
!
! Should be applied on any untrusted interface
interface GigaEthernet0/1
service-policy input GENERIC-INGRESS
!
ip access-list extended SDP-SAP-MCAST
permit ip any 224.2.0.0 0.0.255.255
!

Actually, in your case I would recommend building a more general policy, filtering any unwanted multicast traffic. You could do it by building a longer ACL with groups which you should not be there.
The link above could be a good reference.

Thanks
Arie

-----Original Message-----
From: Zenon Mousmoulas [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2008 23:19 PM
To: Arie Vayner (avayner)
Cc: Hank Nussbacher; [email protected]
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] ip multicast rate-limit

Last week there was an incident where high-speed video was traffic sent to the well known SAP group, which was noticed across Internet2, GEANT and other academic (multicast-enabled) networks. Many folks expressed interest to rate-limit flows to this group, as a means to protect downstream systems (apart from the standard advisory to disable "ip sap listen" etc. on routers). It so happened that I suggested this command (ip multicast rate-limit), because it (still) works for me (recently tested on a 7300 running 12.4T), but it turns out it has become obsolete, so we've been looking for functionally equivalent alternatives...

Z.

On 15 Ιουν 2008, at 10:54 ΜΜ, Arie Vayner (avayner) wrote:

Zenon,

Can you please explain specifically what you want to rate limit...
Maybe a show ip mroute could be helpful...

Arie

-----Original Message-----
From: Zenon Mousmoulas [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2008 22:48 PM
To: Arie Vayner (avayner)
Cc: Hank Nussbacher; [email protected]
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] ip multicast rate-limit

Hi Arie,

I would like to ask you something:

The ip multicast rate-limit command, when used with a group-list and/
or source-list argument, does policing on a per-mroute (S,G or
*,G) basis. This is according to relevant IOS documentation and this
document:

ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/ipmulticast/config-notes/multicast-rate- limit.t
xt

The above (perhaps outdated) document suggests (in section "Status")
to use CAR for per-interface (aggregate) traffic rate-limiting, but to
keep using this command for per-mroute applications. Has this changed
since 2001?

Could you suggest how to build a policy that would apply at per-
mroute (or higher, i.e. per-flow) granularity, instead of being
applied on the aggregate matched traffic?

Would this sort of granular policing fall within the scope of the
microflow policing feature, which is available on some 7600 and
Catalyst 6500 hardware?

Best regards,
Zenon Mousmoulas
GRNET

On 14 Ιουν 2008, at 9:52 ΜΜ, Arie Vayner (avayner) wrote:

I suggest you try using a regular policy map, building a class with
the traffic matched in an ACL, and apply a regular police policy on
that class...
Arie

-----Original Message-----
From: Hank Nussbacher [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2008 21:50 PM
To: Arie Vayner (avayner)
Cc: [email protected]; Zenon Mousmoulas
Subject: RE: [c-nsp] ip multicast rate-limit

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, Arie Vayner (avayner) wrote:

Hank,

What are you trying to achieve?
Can you please share "show module"?

Trying to limit SAP storms.

11    0  4-subslot SPA Interface Processor-400  7600-SIP-400
JAE12035DJ5
11/0 1xOC48 POS/RPR SPA          SPA-1XOC48POS/RPR  JAE11441NKV  2.3
Ok

-Hank


Thanks
Arie

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Hank
Nussbacher
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 16:02 PM
To: [email protected]
Cc: Zenon Mousmoulas
Subject: [c-nsp] ip multicast rate-limit

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipmulti/command/reference/
imc_03.h
tm
l#wp1016097
In 12.2(18)SXF11:

petach-tikva-gp(config)#int pos11/0/0 petach-tikva-gp(config-if)#ip
multicast rate-limit in group-list SAP-mcast-group 1000  "ip
multicast rate-limit" command is not supported

So I go to:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/
12.2SXF/
na
tive/release/notes/OL_4164.html
where it says:
"The ip multicast rate-limit command is not supported on LAN ports.
(CSCds22281)"

So what 12.2SX version supports ip multicast rate-limit on a POS
interface?

Thanks,
Hank

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/




_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to