David Prall wrote:
Both will remain for SX releases as far as I know. Eventually only modular

<rant>

Which I believe is in large part the cause of the problems they've had with SXH.

Think about it:

You're the 6500 IOS team. You have a large body of upstream IOS code, and you have to back-port it, but at the *same* time you also have to modularise it.

Contrast:

You're the 7600 IOS team. You have a large body of upstream IOS code. You just have to back-port it.

</rant>

will be available, but that is still a while out. I believe once we start
seeing Safe Harbor Modular releases we will be closer to that happening.

Ha ha.

The Safe Harbor site claims that SXH3 monolithic testing would start in July (before it was even released?) but there are already severe crash bugs in that release, so I assume they'll wait until SXH3a or 4 or whatever.

The Safe Harbor site also says of modularity:

IOS Software Modularity
12.2(18)SXF *All releases have FAILED due to CSCin96568, CSCsf03710.

Most Recently Tested 12.2(18)SXF8 failed
Candidate Under Test or Planned 12.2(33)SXI.x Q2FY09

So it'll be over 6 months before they even *BOTHER TESTING* a modular release for Safe Harbor, accounting for the usual 6500 fictional IOS release dates. Does it sound to you like they're banging the "modular" drum a bit quieter than they used to? Because it does to me.

Let's not kid ourselves - SXF is going to be the stable release for some time to come. I just hope they release an SXF train with support for the 6716s I bought...
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to