I'm not sure about these days, but I got bit before when changing an ACL on a 
remote device. 
 
If you have an access-list on an interface, and that access-list didn't exist 
then it got interpreted as a 'permit ip any any'. As soon as you add the first 
line of the ACL, it then becomes a default of 'deny ip any any' after the line 
you put in. So if you remove an access-list, and put the lines back in, during 
the timeframe between the first line, and the last, it will affect production 
traffic. (Or in my case, I was modifying an ACL in the interface 'closest' to 
me, and when the first line got added it cut off all my management traffic....)
 
So from then on, I've always removed the ACL from the interface, removed the 
ACL, rebuilt it, and re-applied it to the interface. If you have the lines 
copied into a clipboard, you can paste the stuff in fairly quickly, and not 
really allow much 'bad' traffic in.
 
Ken Matlock
Network Analyst
Exempla Healthcare
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 

________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Gert Doering
Sent: Sun 10/5/2008 10:24 AM
To: Ed Ravin
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Modifying ACLs on production router



Hi,

On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 08:21:40AM -0400, Ed Ravin wrote:
> If the router doesn't complain about syntax
> problems, the script then removes the original ACL from any interfaces
> it is applied to and applies the test ACL.  Then the script deletes the
> original ACL and uploads the new ACL with the original name, and then it
> removes the test-xxxx ACL from the interface(s) and applies the original ACL.
>
> This leaves two short windows when the interface has no ACL applied, but

I'm wondering if there is any deeper necessity for removing the old ACL
from the interface?  In the cases that I've changed ACLs on an interface,
I normally just configure the new ACL - and given that Cisco can only
have one IP ACL (per direction) on each interface, this automatically
and atomically removes the old ACL...

But you might have seen more pathological cases, where things fail in
interesting ways - which is why I'm curious.

gert

--
USENET is *not* the non-clickable part of WWW!
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
fax: +49-89-35655025                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]


_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to