On Wed, 11 Mar 2009, Peter Rathlev wrote:
Hmm... I have discovered that my original analysis was flawed. I knew
TCP sessions without activity survived this, among others a couple of
hmm, so "no traffic during the problem" = "survival"... for those sessions
that died in the process, would be interesting to see the reason in the
syslog. If it's "reset-I" or "reset-O" at the time of sync, then the next
step would be to look in more detail where and how the reset comes from.
Iterative PCAP.
SSH sessions I had going through two of the contexts to test exactly
this. I had setup a ping job (200 ms interval) between two hosts for
traffic crossing two contexts. This job lost 509 packets during the
downtime, and I assumed this meant that the total time-to-recover for
the system was ~100 seconds.
This conclusion was not right though; assumption bit me again. :-D
I have looked at the log-files in a more thorough and systematic
fashion, and actually it was only traffic through one context that was
impacted. All the contexts, including the impacted one, have logged
continuously with no problems. When I saw SYN Timeouts on the others
contexts too it was always for connections coming from the one with
problems.
ahha. "Never assume anything unless you have hard proof" is a good rule
of thumb that helps a lot. Though of course the reality dictates the
probabilistic shortcuts at times.
This of course points to something else being the problem, not the FWSM.
*bling* too strong of an assumption :).
I'd not discard it right away, but from the practical standpoint the fact
that some contexts survive the replication just fine and it is only one
that has an issue, gives a very good jumpstart to look for differences
between the problematic context and the others - configuration, topology,
traffic volumes, anything. The good point is that this is a non-intrusive
(although a bit time-consuming) exercise.
Or at least that it is something concerning the context, not the
hardware or system configuration.
yup, with this I totally agree.
The switch housing the FWSM logged some things during the bootup, but
only the usual stuff and only before the break:
Mar 9 16:37:00.303: %C6KPWR-SP-4-DISABLED: power to module in slot 2 set off
(Reset)
Mar 9 16:39:01.552: %PM_SCP-SP-4-UNK_OPCODE: Received unknown unsolicited
message from module 2, opcode 0x330
Mar 9 16:39:02.572: %DIAG-SP-6-RUN_MINIMUM: Module 2: Running Minimum Online
Diagnostics...
Mar 9 16:39:04.624: %DIAG-SP-6-DIAG_OK: Module 2: Passed Online Diagnostics
Mar 9 16:39:05.076: %OIR-SP-6-INSCARD: Card inserted in slot 2, interfaces are
now online
Mar 9 16:39:12.079: %PM_SCP-SP-4-UNK_OPCODE: Received unknown unsolicited
message from module 2, opcode 0x330
Mar 9 16:39:22.579: %PM_SCP-SP-4-UNK_OPCODE: Received unknown unsolicited
message from module 2, opcode 0x330
The break was just around 16:40:10. Nothing in those messages make me
concerned.
+1
I think we'll let it rest here. It was a much lower impact than we
thought, so no biggie.
Indeed - though still would be good to nail it down. The latent problems
are worse in a sense that they usually pop up at the worst possible times
in combination with something else, and complicate the life a lot. It's
like walking on the rails is practically not a huge issue, and a
high-speed train passing by is not of an issue, but combined the two
events are highly undesirable :)
And Andrew: Thank you very much for your input. :-)
My pleasure :)
cheers,
andrew
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/